Skip to main content

Linux Driver for 661/741/760 PCI/AGP or 662/761Gx PCIE VGA Display Adapter

SiS VGA Driver for Linux, taken from CDLinux 2008

The Driver works perfectly to play any videos

The Driver works good and recognizes the monitor maximum resoulution


Linux now has revolutionary grown into a modern operating system. Now, Linux has been used widely from web server, supercomputer into personal desktop, laptop, and even now, Linux has been very popular to be used in many tablet and smartphone devices. These radical changes indicates that Linux has grown into an ultimate operating system that has ultimate capability to handle any recent and most recent computer hardwares. This is of course a big deal for us to be celebrated.


But in one another rare case, I've found an ironic thing : Linux has left few old hardwares into more less usable hardwares. In my case, my old onboard SiS 661FX VGA controller, since the release of Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron, “hasn't ironically been maintained” to works as well as in the previous Linux releases. Since then, my SiS vga controller can't shows maximum monitor resolution although I know that there is still a SiS vga controller driver in the system. I really had no idea how to fix that suck thing till I've found one stupid way that magically worked. The way is I run any previous Linux release that still has good capability to handle my SiS vga. My purpose to do such thing is to generate and get the xorg.conf file configuration to be injected in the newer Linux release. And yes, my old SiS vga works well again by using the xorg.conf from the old Linux release.


I used that way to the next Linux releases and always worked well until the release of Ubuntu 11.04. I injected the xorg.conf file and after rebooting, the system can't load X. And so I google to look around what happened to the new Linux system in handling old SiS vga controller, and I got the fact that newer Xorg do not need any xorg.conf file anymore to work with any vga controllers. You just need to get the most appropriate driver of your vga controller and your vga will works good. And later I sought another more appropriate SiS vga driver and I've found some. In the last, I've found a driver at the launchpad called xserver-xorg-video-sismedia but after I installed the driver, I'd found a crappy thing : every I play video using gnome-mplayer and using X11 video output, the video runs very slowly. I had no idea so I rolled back into default SiS driver of the Ubuntu 11.04 release and although I couldn't get my maximum monitor resolution, I got maximum performance in playing videos.


I sought another driver and finally, I've got the most appropriate driver. I've found the driver in an old Chinese Live Linux distribution called CDLinux 2008. The driver works very good in my Ubuntu 11.10, almost perfect. I've got maximum monitor resolution and also I've got maximum performance when I play videos using Mplayer. So then, because of this good thing, I packed the driver into a DEB package and I store it in the internet so any user outside there who has the same old SiS vga controllers will get the most maximum performance with newest Linux releases. The driver can be downloaded HERE.


As usual, as a technical comparison, here is the system I used to test this :

OS : Xubuntu 11.10 kernel default 3.0

CPU : Intel Pentium IV 2,4 GHz

Memory : 1,5 GB RAM

VGA : Onboard SiS 661FX

Monitor : Acer AC711 CRT Monitor with max. resolution 1280x1024 pix.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Q4OS 4.6 "Gemini" Review: A Real Hidden Gem

Distro hopping is a fun adventure. It's a pure joy you can only find in GNU/Linux world. It's a nature you want to escape from what I call 'comfort ecosystem'. You need to play, trying something new even for a few little differences. For a long time I've been using Ubuntu family as my daily driver. The main reason is probably just same as any other Ubuntu user: it's reliable. You can't go wrong with Ubuntu. It works almost in any device, even for the newest one. It is the ultimate Linux distro you can rely on. However, sometimes, you will feel bored. The temptation to flirt with other new distro is unbearable. There are a lot of hot new Linux distros waiting to try.  A Real Hidden Gem I've known this distro for a quite long time. At first, it offered Trinity Desktop as the main desktop, which brings me the sweet memories about KDE3. It is simply fast, stable, almost without any issue, and it is based on Debian. I install it on my old machine and I love t

How To Install Mac OS X Lion Theme On Lubuntu / LXDE

Lubuntu 12.04 with Mac OS X Lion Theme, xcompmgr & cairo-dock [click to enlarge] Mac OS X is the special one in the Desktop market. So many people admire it because of its beauty, safety (yes, it is an UNIX) and its profesional image as “an OS for profesional modern art designer”. Yeah, Mac OS X has beautiful look and I do like its look-n-feel. And so, there are so many theme patcher to make our Microsoft Windows or Linux OS become Mac OS X in the appearance. In Linux Desktop, there are some project specialized in designing theme transformation pack to make our Linux desktop to be looked like Mac OS X. The most popular project probably is Mac4Lin. But, all of those projects was designed only for GNOME or sometimes support XFCE and how about LXDE? Our Star in the current lightweight Linux desktop? (Yes, LXDE is the most light-but-complete Linux desktop for now). Until now, there is no project that officially support LXDE. Basically, LXDE uses gtk (now still stay w

Howto Connect To Windows Share Network (Connect To Server) Easily in PCManFM

In Nautilus 3.4, Nemo, or Caja, there is a very useful menu called "Connect to Server". This menu allow us to connect to a Windows Share network via Samba. If you are using another desktop environment such as LXDE, there aren't such menu, and we need to install third party tool called Gigolo . But apparently, PCManFM (the default file manager of LXDE) already has such function. We could connect to a Windows Share network in PCManFM easily. Here are the simple steps : 1. Open PCManFM and go to adress bar, and type this command : smb://username@server/folder example : smb://staff@192.168.1.69/document then press Enter 2. Once you will be asked to input the Windows Share Network password (if exists), select Remember Forever option. 3. You are connected to Windows Share Network ;)